Welcome to Erk Pod episode 523. Winding down & thinking of home, Erk is heading ever closer to jumping on a jet plane & heading from Singapore back to Australia. There’s a good feeling about going home but sad feelings about the end of a wonderful trip. […]
Welcome to Erk FM: Metal Monday episode 156. Instead of watching ice hockey brawls on YouTube (a personal favourite is 14 Minutes of Pissed Off Goalies – it does exactly what it says on the box!), Erk is bringing you metal from around the world, probably in languages other than English (the bands, that is, not Erk) courtesy of music supplier Jamendo. Some of the tracks are so not in English that Erk’s English keyboard can not re-create the letters forming the titles of the songs.
The first song is called Escape From Dead Halt by Metal Mood. You might listen to the start of the song & think that Erk has gone stark raving mad. Look past the the piano in the introduction and you’ll hear some German metal.
The next band are called ReconQuistA from Russia. Erk plays a few tracks from them but can’t translate the song titles into English. Making a return to Erk FM: Metal Monday are Melqart who are from Spain. Erk wonders if the traditional “U follows a Q” rule also applies in Spanish. Probably not.
Next are ApocryphA from Argentina. Based on previous submissions and tracks Erk has found plus his experiences on 70000 Tons of Metal, South Americans love their heavy metal. Moving to an English speaking country, Man-Witch are the penultimate band from Portland – Erk presumes Portland in Oregon unless he can prove differently when it comes to a band from Portland. PS – GO WINTERHAWKS!
Welcome to Erk Pod episode 522. On this episode, Erk leaves the city & country of Singapore & heads to Jonor Bahru, Malaysia. Erk’s original plan was to walk over the causeway joining the two countries however new immigration buildings on the Malaysian side means that this is no longer possible. Not wanting to hire a car or other vehicle, Erk decides that there is still a way to do this – public transport!
Catching a couple of trains from near his Singapore hotel to the train station near the border checkpoint, he catches a bus to the Singapore exit point. Leaving the bus, he goes upstairs & gets his passport stamped to say he is leaving Singapore. Boarding another bus, he crosses the causeway by road & ends up on the Malaysian side. Leaving the bus again, he goes upstairs to the Malay entry point for another passport stamp. The process is repeated on the way back to Singapore. […]
Welcome to Erk FM: Australia episode 486. This is a preview of next month’s Rocktober. This preview episode dates from the last time that Erk did Rocktober in 2012. There is a lot of great Australian rock out there & I’ve only touched the surface! To allow more music, there’s not a lot of talking from Erk on this episode – more music, less waffle!
Music supplied by Radio Submit, Musik & Film, Cyber PR, Deuce Management & Promotion, SGC Media & the artists directly.
- More Than The End – Second Dan (Cyber PR)
- Hot Summer – Bedford (Deuce Management & Promotion)
- Lung Sum – The Paper Scissors (SGC Media)
- Run Away – Kristian Jackson (direct)
- One Fine Day – Israel Cannan (SGC Media)
- Get Back To Your Cage – Release The Hounds (direct)
- Alive – JAK (direct)
- Crusader – Domino (direct)
- Hit The Road – Urban Stone (direct)
- Lonely – Bridie O’Brien (direct)
- Dancing On The Edge – Mia Dyson (SGC Media)
- Stella – The Wind Up Dolls (direct)
- Good While It Lasted – Stellar Addiction (direct)
- Crazy – Aimee Francis (direct)
- Battle Scars – Aural Window (direct)
- The Confession – The Cursing Stone (direct)
- Wide Eyed Boy – Birds Of Tokyo (AirPlay Direct)
- Deadman – Karnivool (Tijuana Gift Shop)
- Wrapped Around My Finger – Rone Kaos (Musik & Film)
- Eventide – The Bleeding Rose (Musik & Film)
- Untouchable – Jessie Sparks (Radio Submit)
- More Suitable Type – Jessie Sparks (Radio Submit)
- You Know Who You Are – Hounds Of Hiroshima (direct)
- Journey – Dirty Utility (direct)
- Feel My Pain – The Creptter Children (direct)
Welcome to Erk Pod episode 521. Erk’s time in Singapore is rapidly running out & the long trip and the ever changing weather conditions is starting to take its toll. Has Erk finally found where all the people in Singapore are on day 54 of the trip? […]
Welcome to episode 485 of Erk FM: International. This is a preview of Rocktober which is coming up from next week with all new tracks. This re-presented episode dates from the last time Erk did Rocktober, 2012.
- We Tell You A Lie – The Tax (Ambicon Records)
- Sooner Or Later – Ransom Kong (AirPlay Direct)
- Stay – Ransom Kong (AirPlay Direct)
- Hasta Dónde – Cobalto (AirPlay Direct)
- Las Hojas Volar – Cobalto (AirPlay Direct)
- Coma – Sunday Recovery (AirPlay Direct)
- Private Joke – Sunday Recovery (AirPlay Direct)
- Broken Bones – Homeless Hill (AirPlay Direct)
- They Don’t Know – Homeless Hill (AirPlay Direct)
- Galway Races – Tomfooligans (AirPlay Direct)
- Paddy Reb – Tomfooligans (AirPlay Direct)
- Headlines – Friends Of Emmet (AirPlay Direct)
- Amazed – Friends Of Emmet (AirPlay Direct)
- A Wonderful Life – Madison (AirPlay Direct)
- Nothing More Than A Feeling – Madison (AirPlay Direct)
Welcome to Erk Pod episode 520. Erk is now starting to enjoy Singapore more than he did when he first arrived after an awesome week in Japan. Singapore was a convenient way to break up the trip between Japan and Australia & has not been a city of Erk’s “must explore” list. […]
Welcome to Erk FM: Metal Monday episode 155. Erk again features Canadian metal bands who competed for the chance to go to Wacken. On this episode, we also find out who did actually win the race to go to Wacken on behalf of Canadians. Music supplied by Asher Media Relations.
- Painfully Endless – Morbidly Depraved (Asher Media Relations)
- Beautiful Destroyer – Mounir (Asher Media Relations)
- Mutank – Mutank (Asher Media Relations)
- Kings With No Castles – My Hollow (Asher Media Relations)
- Cannulated – Near Grey (Asher Media Relations)
- Left Behind – Neck Of The Woods (Asher Media Relations)
- MKT – Ogenix (Asher Media Relations)
- Sheltered Mind – Omnisight (Asher Media Relations)
- Gallery Of Fools – Osyron (Asher Media Relations)
- My Worth – Over The Coals (Asher Media Relations)
- Disposable – Pariah (Asher Media Relations)
- Reborn – Pentitentz (Asher Media Relations)
- Get Me A Beer! – Protokult (Asher Media Relations)
- Marion Sims – Psycho Mad Sally (Asher Media Relations)
- 8plus – Santuarium (Asher Media Relations)
- To Cultivate With Spears – Scimatar (Asher Media Relations)
- Army Of The Bear – Scythia (Asher Media Relations)
- Unbreakable – Shattered Remains (Asher Media Relations)
- Preservation – Sludgehammer (Asher Media Relations)
- Fractured Dreams – Sovereign Council (Asher Media Relations).
Welcome to Erk FM: Australia episode 484. This is a re-presentation of Erk FM episode 174 originally released in June 2011. This episode is an interview with Symon (guitar) and Allan (drums) from western Sydney progressive metal band Centred Self. Music supplied directly by the band. During the interview, we find out how Centred Self got its name, how the band got together, recording and rehearsing, drumming, the live music scene in Sydney & a lot more. On the day of this interview, Symon & Allan were pre-producing drum tracks at Party Pig Studios in the early stages of producing the forthcoming Centred Self debut album. This album was planned for late 2010 but never saw the light of day, sadly. Among other things, Allan is now drumming successfully for metal band Dawn Heist while Symon ran away and joined the circus … um, not really. It makes for an interesting headline, though!
A lot has happened after this interview occurred. Soon after the interview, Erk travelled across Europe and formulated the idea for Erk FM: International & Erk FM: Australia and how they would work while he was overseas. The idea for Erk FM: Metal Monday was only very young at this stage. As Erk is wrapping up Erk FM’s non metal shows in early 2015, this is a perfect time to look back at this interview & reflect.
Keep listening at the end of the interview for Erk’s very first attempt at playing drums as well as some entertaining out-takes & bloopers!
Centred Self Song list:
- Measure of Madness
Dawn Heist Song list:
- Timewave Zero
- Nine Worlds
Continuing back at looking back at music across Channel Erk, Erk features an alternative online music festival called Couch X Couchwest.
While CXCW requires video to be filmed from anywhere that isn’t a stage, there are some tracks on this episode that have been recorded in a studio environment. Some of the songs on this episode, however, are played directly from the artist’s CXCW video submission. You can see many videos that have been created for CXCW plus a lot more about the World’s Best Online Music Festival at the official CXCW website. Thank you to the CXCW team for involving me in the festival this year & helping me to promote this show while I am promoting the festival. This episode starts with a couple of new submissions by artists that have appeared on Erk FM before. Then various artists who won CXCW awards are featured.
- 2 for 1 – Bluejay (direct)
- Shut Up & Love Me – The Dead Exs (direct)
- Blue House Pink – Oxen (direct)
- House Of The Rising Sun – Sci-fi Romance (direct)
- Venice Via Postcard – Drew Kennedy (Best Couch)
- Longpig – Skeletons In The Piano (Honorable Mention – Ugliest Couch)
- Starless – Larcenist (Ugliest Couch)
- Checkstand – Ghosts Of Guadalupe (Honorable Mention – Best Locale, People We Want To Party With – Everyone from SLO)
- Girl From Guadalajara – Magnolia Collective (Honorable Mention – Best Locale)
- Stond Cold Daddy-o – Jonny Corndawg (Best Locale)
- The Bloodiest Gums – Those Mockingbirds (Honorable Mention – Sketchiest Locale)
- Colonel Is Dead – Mic Harrison & The High Score (Sketchiest Locale)
- Happy Valley Blues – Two Mule Blues (Most Scenic Locale)
- New Song – Some Dark Holler (Most Drunkerer)
- Waltz About Whiskey – Mandolin Orange (Best Drinking Song)
- Nobody’s Baby – Sadie & Her Blue Eyed Devils (Best Dressed)
- Aphrodite’s Thighs – The Danglers (Honorable Mention – Most Rocking)
- All Over You – The Dead Exs (Honorable Mention – Most Rocking)
- Run Away – The Endmen (Most Rocking)
- Don’t Panic – Cajita (Honorable Mention – Best Use Of Technology)
- Falling Down – The Done Deals (Best Use Of Technology)
- Hybrid Moments – The Famous (Best Cover Song)
- Thirteen – Northbrook Garage (Best Performance Under 21)
- Friends In Bottles – Chase 56 (Best Non Traditional Percussion)
- Do It Again – The Dead Volts (Honorable Mention – Best Locale, People We Want To Party With – Everyone from SLO)
- Werewolf Waltz – Cody St James (People We Want To Party With – Everyone from SLO)
- Last Regret – Dickie Cross (People We Want To Party With – Everyone from SLO)
- Back & Forth – American Dirt (People We Want To Party With – Everyone from SLO)
- This White Circle – Josie Little (People’s Choice – Big Blue Button Award)